Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The things I love about Texas.

Texas is my favorite place ever. 

Here is why:

- The people.  No matter if you've been there 50 years or 5 minutes, Texans are going to welcome you in and work on getting you to see how much you love Texas.  Because deep down, every one loves Texas.  Some people just don't know it yet.  Some say that Texans are so proud of where they come from and think Texas is the best.  Well, yeah.  Texas has heart, y'all.

- The Country.  When I was younger, before AIM became popular and I hit my teenage years, I spent a lot of time in the pond.  This was also before we found the five foot water moccasin and shot it, only to skin it ( my brother wanted a belt or something) and find a TON of baby snakes that had not yet been born.   Any way,  we fished.  I built a hut in the woods, complete with insulated walls, a roof, and I only used a little string and sticks I found.  My brother made skis out of 2x4's and attempted to ski behind the gator.  We made trails, waded in the pond, and rode horses.  When we got cattle, it was my job to "tame" the first two.  I spent a few afternoons hanging around the pen they were in and got a little closer each day, until I eventually got in with them.  Then, they let me close.  My home town was a lot smaller then than it is now, and my mom and I would stop by the local milkshake stop on the way home from school if I was lucky.  They made the best in town.

The City-  Sure, we might have had to drive 20 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart or Target, but the big city was really just an hour away.  Great shopping, great food was all there if you wanted to venture into it.  I really like the busier parts of Texas as much as I do the not-so- busy parts.  It's still Texas, in every part.

Football-  I attended nearly every single Highschool football game through four years of Highschool.  Mostly because I was on our Drill Team and was performing for half time, but still, I was there.  It didn't matter if our team only won a few times in those four years!  There guys with their chests painted, letter jackets, and t-shirts made for the football players.  We had a  pep-rally nearly every Friday during football season.  Most of my football memories were spent in a hat, a pair of boots, and maroon lipstick.  Amen.

God Blessed Texas.  Need I say more?

The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo- Spring Time.  Carnival rides.  Country music stars performing every night for weeks.  Barrel Racing.  The one where all of the kids chase the calves and then if they get a halter on them they get to keep it.  Wagon Races.  Buckin' Broncos.  Bull Riding.  Good friends, good people, good fun.


On a closing note, I may or may not have a jar of Texas dirt in my room. 

Is that wrong?  To keep dirt in your house? 

I hope not. 

I also might be missing Texas a little.  Bowling for Soup's song, " Come back to Texas" came through on my iTunes the other day, and I couldn't help but miss it.  " The Dallas Cowboys want you back, The Bush Twins want you back.....It's just not the same since you went away.. before you lose your accent..."

I'm sorry, I'm going to go now.

1 comment:

fay said...

Such good memories! Maybe one day you will get to come back...