Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Photography


I will not consider myself a photographer.  I think that title needs to be saved for those who know what they're doing with their camera, can see what they want to create with a picture, and those who have a talent for capturing images.  In my opinion, it is darn near impossible to pick up a camera, learn some things, and declare yourself a photographer.  That's like picking up a paintbrush and a canvas and calling your self a Painter.  Or like picking up a pair of ballet shoes and trying to pirouette your way on to Swan lake.  Not likely.



That being said, I have always enjoyed taking pictures.  I drag a camera with me just about every where, only to get some prints and scrapbook my memories away.  Point being, I love to take pictures.  I love seeing beautiful pictures that some one has seen in such a special way, it takes your breath.  So, when an amazing photographer on base announced she was going to have classes, I was definitely excited.  I love my camera, and most of the time I can take pictures in focus,  but I really just have no idea what to do with the thing. With all of the settings, and dials and buttons.  I know it's good, and I know I could use it to take good pictures, but I don't know how yet.  I decided the class was for me! Offered on Saturdays, that meant Red could have a little one on one time with his favorite girl, and I could have a little break from mommy world.  I really love mommy world, but some times you need a couple hours away.

We had our first class of four this last Saturday at the ILC.  Camera's ranged from top of the line, several lenses to point and shoots.  Our amazing instructor took the time to go to every person, and make sure they were able to find out how and what to do.  Danielle was patient, kind and honest.  Talking to us about the rule of thirds and focus points- basic photography terms I had no clue existed.  She helped us learn what your settings need to be for what light, and made the Manual setting seem a lot less difficult.  When we took a while to take some shots, focusing on Macro photography and depth of field, she went around and looked through what we had, asked if we had any questions, and gave us tips on how to improve, what to avoid, and how to make your shot more interesting.  I am hooked!  All I want to do is drive around and try things out.  

Maybe I will put a few pictures on here at one point.  Hopefully I will get the hang of things a little more as time goes by.  I am just thrilled to understand more of my buttons and dials!  

In other news; I used decoupage on a composition notebook for the class.  

hangs head in shame

I promise I didn't use an magazine clippings or pictures of my BFFL.  Just scrap booking paper.  Black and white.  
I didn't want to look at that ugly stuff while I was trying to be creative.

In other, other news:
My child is taking her second two hour nap today.
 
Let us all take a moment of silence to drink coffee and leave it on the end table with no fear.

No comments: