Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Rabbit in a Kimono

Yesterday was a wonderful day!  Besides Sweet Home Alabama coming on when I was awake and watching, it snowed.  Not only did Sweet Home Alabama come on, and not only did it snow, but Courtney and I made it to the International Learning Center to take a Kimono Doll making class!  So, as you can see, this was pretty eventful compared to the last couple of weeks  ( Ouch my back!  Waaahh You want me to call nine one whine??  No don't make me laugh!  That hurts!).

I have been waiting for an opportunity to head out there, but there just hadn't been a great time.  Especially since I don't have my license yet.  I promise, I'm working on it!  When Courtney asked if I wanted to go, I jumped on the chance!  I knew there had been a class before, and when I saw the pictures, my first thought was I can't make mine look that cute, but I'm sure going to try!

As we walked into the building, I was taken back at how much I instantly loved the place.  Warm yellow walls, perfect home-like touches every where.  Flowers, a cafe bar where you can bring your lap top, drink some coffee and do a little people watching.  We were told the class was going to be held in the area to our left.  There was a table set up with supplies, two Japanese women who would be our instructors, and a few others waiting to take the class.

We sat down a minute and chatted before our class began.  We could make either a rabbit, or a doll, and the supplies were put in front of us.  Several bags, filled with fabric, lace, and everything we would need to make our dolls, except each were different.  Each bag had a different pattern and color-scheme.  Whatever we made that day, would be unique.  One of the instructors actually makes the bodies her self.  She doesn't buy the doll, she buys the fabric, the needle, and the thread. As it took me for-ev-er  to do the first step of hemming the kimono collar, I find her amazing.

After a few hours of learning something completely new, laughing at ourselves for the mistakes we made, having wonderful teachers at our side, and a few others from base; we each had our very own, mostly hand made doll.  In a world where the general society doesn't have time to create things since we're so busy and have an app on our iPhones for that ( get it??) , I will always appreciate it.  I can't wait to make another! 






After the class ended, Jackie Allen, the person who took a dream that she had to unite the Japanese and American cultures and made it happen, showed us around.  There was a more formal class room than the area we were in.  With a white board  and a long table with a table set up with little treats and coffee.  The bathroom was pretty sweet, I'm not going to lie here.  Nice and spacey with plenty of room for a stroller and a changing table.  The colors she picked every where were just wonderful.  Upstairs, I think was my favorite.  A huge, open room painted yellow with wood floors and windows to let all of the light in.  She says " Now this is where we have pre-school play time.  We set up a gate near the stairs, chairs, and toys and just let the kids have fun together while the moms chat. You can also rent the place out, it has a balcony for whatever you need"  You could tell as she described the place that she was just so passionate about making others happy, comfortable and at home.  Jackie has so many plans and hopes, you know the ILC is going to be successful.  It has to be with a woman who has such drive and a passion to see Japanese and American cultures get to know each other better.

The ILC is perfect for every one.  Seriously, if you have been in Iwakuni for three years, and staying for another three, come and meet new people and hang out with the friends you have while you learn a new skill.  If you're a newbie, like me.  And pretty intimidated by the culture shock and different language and different everything, like me.  Go to the ILC.  Learn something new, meet new friends and have fun!  With some one as fun as Jackie, it's hard not to get excited about embracing a new culture!

1 comment:

fay said...

How fun! This ILC sounds like a great place!! And I LOVE your bunny!!! Did you name it?