Saturday, December 18, 2010

A visit from Mom

My sweet, beautiful Mommy came to visit for pumpkin's birthday last week.  We had so much fun!  After picking her up in Hiroshima, she set up camp in pumpkin's room on a fold out less than twin sized bed and almost no where to put her things, and bless her heart, she made the best of it ( like she always does).

We went on a few excursions during her stay, including the Kintai Bridge, and the island of Miyajima- a beautiful sightseeing place less than an hour from our base.  At Miyajima, there are quite a few attractions other than the scenery ( we will get to that in a minute.)  There are the most adorable deer that love to get up close and personal, in your pockets, kids' strollers, in your bag.  They love to be petted and will follow you until you no longer have anything to offer.  Even then, they will probably still follow.  They are very optimistic little stinkers. 


There are also a ton of little, authentic Japanese shops.  I got an adorable knit hat, and mom ended up getting a poncho ( not pictured because I've been threatened.  It got a little cold, and she got a little desperate ).  Quite a few make their own things and they all sell something unique!  Another thing Miyajima is famous for is the largest rice spatula in Japan?  The world?  I don't remember, but it's huge.  So, if you need a rice spatula, I can hook you up.  There is also a shrine that you are able to tour with a floating Torii gate.  For some one that has never been in a shrine, it was a very new and interesting experience.  Certain things you were not able to take pictures of, and they had a fortune station where you would go to a selection of numbered drawers and pick out your fortune.  I never got one because they are only in Japanese and it says " No translations."  I didn't want to be a bother. 

Then, we went on the cable cars and headed up to the top of Mount Misen.  Wow!  It was absolutely gorgeous.  We could see the surrounding cities and islands on a perfectly clear, sun-shiny day.  When we got to the top- there were signs every where warning us about the monkeys.  " Do not look in our eye.  We are not responsible for what might happen"  There were even free lockers provided so you wouldn't tempt the said monkeys with your things.  We never saw a monkey, but I did keep a close watch on Pumpkin and our things. 

 We rode the train there and back, my first time using the public transportation system out here.  It was so nice.  In the states,  public transportation can be scary.  Here, it is just how you get around.  It is clean, and the people were friendly, all wanting to touch Pumpkin.  It was also pretty fast, we didn't have to have baby in a car seat, and we got to just enjoy the ride.  Hanging on, of course.


I miss my mom now that she is gone and not sleeping in my baby's room any more.  But I am sure she will be back again soon!  After she left, it hit me.  I moved to Japan.  No more " in the middle of a move" or " we just moved"  We're here.  Our stuff is here.  Pumpkin is one and we have moved to Japan.  Now, we make our new surroundings home!

2 comments:

fay said...

I sure do love y'all!

flygirl07 said...

I cannot believe she is one. Holy cow.