Sunday, November 21, 2010

Surprise!!!

Are you ready?

You may need to sit down.


This effects you greatly.





We have our stuuufff!!!



I got the E-mail while Red was gone this past week.  It said the earliest available day for delivery was the next morning.  First, I happy danced, and then Pumpkin joined in.  Now that was some sort of cute.  The very first thing I did, was call Red.  Since the service isn't the most reliable, I couldn't get through.  So I said to myself " Hello, this is a sign that you need to just get the shipment any way, and surprise him!"  I knew I couldn't do it alone.  Pumpkin is sick, and I was coming down with the same thing.  Even if we were both healthy, that little booger doesn't nap long, and trying to keep her contained with a group of movers all by myself?  Not so much.  I called my friend here to see if she had anything going the next morning and if I could enlist her help.  Courtney is very sweet, and even voluntarily watched Pumpkin for the Marine Corps 235th Birthday Ball.  So I was hoping I could pull another sweet act of kindness from her.  To my joy, Courtney agreed and said she would be over in the morning right before the movers.

We happy danced some more.   

The movers arrived about 0830 Thursday Morning.  Since we received our express shipment on Friday, when Red left, the process was still fresh in my mind.  I went down stairs, confirmed the crates were ours and gave them permission to open them.  Upstairs, they lined the walls and corners with padding to protect them from getting bumped, and put rugs down on the tile to make sure it didn't get marked.  I was checking out the inventory sheet, and realized that there was quite a few things missing.  No couch, recliner, washer, dryer, Ava's dresser.  I thought maybe they don't put the really big stuff down?  Weird.   As boxes started to come in, we learned very quickly that the actual inventory they were moving in went past number 290, and my list only went to number 260.  So, for every item that wasn't on my original inventory list, they listed for us.  Apparently, in the hurry of the move, we didn't check the mover's inventory list back in the states, and are very lucky all of our things arrived and are in good condition.

While they were hooking up our Washer and Dryer ( I had our H.E. front loaders sent here because they were a recent purchase and they clean Ava's cloth diapers so well along with the rest of our laundry), the man hooking it up said " excuse me, dryer a challenge."  The plug didn't fit.  Awesome.  As much as I tried, I could not get my four prong plug to fit into my three prong outlet. Next, he told me not to use my washer until I went to get new hosing since it was leaking.  Minor road block, right?  All I have to do is go to the PX, check if they have an adapter for the dryer since the sell the same one there and find some replacement hoses.  I have tools now, I can do anything as long as I have directions. 

If it were only so simple.  The movers left, and Courtney stayed all afternoon helping me unpack and organize my kitchen!  When I needed a break from being surrounded by boxes, I headed out to the PX in search of said items.  The manager said, " We are all out."  When I asked him what I should do next, he said to go to the housing office and to the Self-help desk and see if they had any.  By that time, it was too late in the day and they were closed, so Ava and myself had some dinner and hit the hay.

The next day, I enlisted some extra help. Red's sergeant told us to call if we needed anything.  Ava needed to go to the doctor, and I needed to go to the Family Housing Office.  Since I don't have a driver's license  here because I am too chicken, I asked for a ride.  He drove our sweet 1996 model minivan for us, and I was able to find a new dryer cord, and hoses for the washer.  After he dropped us off, Ava went for a nap, and I decided to put on my tool belt.  ( just figuratively, I don't really have one.)  After finding the right tools I needed, I set to work on replacing the leaky hose.  Not a problem!  This fixing stuff is easy!  I put a load of diapers in the wash and set out on fixing the dryer.  I unscrewed the back, took out the old plug, and screwed the new one in like the directions said.  While I was having some problems with a stripped screw, the washer starts to lose it.  It is bouncing every where on the spin cycle and I nearly get trapped in the laundry room.  I turn it off and back on, to try again.  I manage to get the cord plugged in, and right after I hear a little *zap* and see a small spark, the washer starts to bounce again!  I climb over, and shut the door to the laundry room, thinking the washer would just bounce for a minute and be done.  I was wrong.  It got worse.  Ava wakes up, and I have to not let her get under my feet while I am trying to get to the dryer to turn it off, or at least unplug it since the drain pipe has come loose and my floor is soaked.  After I get the beast turned off, I throw a towel down and try to move it with out being able to actually get in the laundry room.  Cody's sergeant comes back over and is able to move it out of the way for me. Deciding to just dry the diapers since they were almost done anyway, I load up the dryer and turn it on.  At least I tried, it did not turn on.  By now, it is time for some play time, dinner and bed.  

After she was fast asleep, I talk to my brother on skype who is waiting for his continental breakfast.  I tell him about my issues with laundry, and he asks if I have checked my breaker.  I tell him no, and go to do it.  I flip the switch off and back on and here bzzzzzz *pop* Then, I look to my laundry room, and it is filled with smoke.  I turn the breaker back off and check for a fire.  There wasn't one, so I check on Ava to see if her room was clear and put a towel under the door.  I opened the window to air everything out and return to my computer where I am chatting with my brother.  He tells me there is no risk of a middle of the night fire, but I am not convinced.  I shoot a text to Courtney, to see if her or her husband, Tom know if I am still in danger.  They said they had no idea, but came to check it out any way.  Tom unplugged everything and I felt much better about that!  Before going to bed, I was so completely thankful that Cody would be home in the morning. This surprise stuff is hard work!  


This morning, I was able to get up with Pumpkin, have breakfast and get some final organizing done on the front part of the house.  That way, when I told him all of the stuff we had to fix, he would be in a good mood.  I heard the doorbell ring and a knock.  After opening the door, I tried to hold him in so I could get him to close his eyes.  No such luck.  " Is that my recliner??  Our stuff is here?!"  I smiled and nodded while he stumbled around in shock at our things.  He headed towards the back of the house, I handed him Pumpkin and stopped him.  " Listen... I had a few things happen."  Bless his heart, he laughed, checked it out and fixed the washer.  Then, we headed over to housing, picked up a new dryer cord and called the trouble line to get an electrician to come fix whatever I did wrong.  ( I still blame the outlet, it was burned and I followed all of the directions!  Surely it has nothing to do with my lack of experience.) Then, we got to work on unpacking the rest of our stuff.  

Got to love him!

1 comment:

S said...

I need pictures!!!!